6.21.2012

ironclad

As you may already know, the home of Bailey McCarthy (the super cute face behind the blog Peppermint Blisswas recently featured on Design Sponge, and it's been absolutely BLOWING UP on Pinterest and in blog land. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out. Her design choices are really striking and interesting, and she is clearly not someone who shies away from bold moves. Girl has balls. 

But to totally honest (and I feel almost nervous saying this out loud), I don't...really...love it. I APPRECIATE it, but I don't love it. It's just not my style. I love bold wallpaper, but not those bold wallpapers. I love bold colour combinations, but not those bold colour combinations. You know what I mean?

It's honestly just a matter of taste, and if it were everyone's style it wouldn't be such a statement, right? 

Anyway, there is one room in Bailey's home that I do love -- and I mean really really love. Ironically, it's the bathroom she designed for her husband! In Bailey's own words: "Pete saw a picture of a similar shower I had posted on my blog one day and thought it was the coolest thing ever. He lets me paint lots of junk pink, so this is the least I could do for him."

How cute is that? And how amazing is the result:


Incredible. I can actually remember the first time I saw this iron-window shower style (maybe the same pic her husband saw) because it struck me just as much then. Mostly because I couldn't believe how much I adored it. I mean, I'm a seamless, border-less, everything-less shower door girl. Hands down, every time. 

Except this time. 

This breaks the rules. THIS is insanity: 




Oh sure, add honeycomb tile, exposed brass piping and raw wood to it. Give me a heart attack. Whatever.

Honestly though. Honestly. I can't get over how head-over-heels I am with this. It's so old-worldy, and there's something strangely Parisian countryside about it. I especially love when the door doesn't go all the way up to the top of the wall of windows. It makes it feel so grand

So what do you think? Should I be thrown out of design-blog-land for not wanting to move into Bailey's place? Would you make an exception on bordered shower doors in this one case, or are you still not sold? I'm pretty clearly in the ironclad boat over here. Hell, I may as well be manning the ship. 

post signature

1 comment :

  1. Ahhh---hahahaa. I felt exaaaaactly the same way. Like I can appreciate the genius behind it but can't get 100% on board. Coincidentally, your feeling of 'nervous saying it out loud' is exactly how I felt about Amber Interior Design's post on her new bathroom--I thought the remodel was underwhelming, but everyone was going crazy about it in the comments! I didn't really feel like she was breaking any new ground at all (unlike literally everything else I've ever seen her do, which I oh-my-god love), but it's like blasphemy to be into interior design and then not be gaga over everything the more 'famous' designers produce. Strange.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!