3.25.2013

dining chair makeover - les touches to the rescue? (in need of opinions!)

So remember that amazing budget-find IKEA fabric I posted about last week? Well, I still love it, but I'm not sure my dining nook does. While the colours work so well with the pendant light and rug in theory, I think they're just perky enough that in practice they flatten the rug out a bit . . .  and flat and dull it is not.

Here is what the rug looks like solo:


And here are a couple of bad iPhone snaps of what the fabric does to it . . .



There's no question that it's better than what's on the chairs currently, but I'm just not sure it's right.

Thankfully, I have two yards of this extreme gorgeousness on the way:



 . . . from my absolute fave Etsy fabric source, Decorators Backroom. I've sung the praises of DB before, but when the seller offers Les Touches for only $40 a yard, how could I not?? (Psst, right now she may or may not have La Fiorentina in Wine/Magenta for the same price. It's crazy pants.)

So here's a little reminder of what the room looks like when I'm using a proper camera . . .


Except the lobster has been moved to the bathroom and these pretty ladies have taken it's place:



The new plan would involve Les Touches on the chairs, hopefully ribbon on the sides of curtains (dark purple or pink velvet), paint on the picture frames (light pink) and maybe paint on the bottom third of the chair legs - like they'd been dipped. If I did that I'd have to go pink, because I don't like purple and black too close together.  Which means that the ribbon would have to be purple to avoid pink overload . . .

So what do y'all think? Les Touches all the way, or is it a waste of such a ridiculously good fabric?? Should I horde it for better quality pieces in the future? I need advice ladies! This room needs some spring in its step!

post signature

7 comments :

  1. First, I love love love it all. Second, I see what you mean about the Ikea fabric. Don't you hate it when that happens? The Les Touches...oh wow, how can you NOT use it? Go for it. Also, if you do dip the chairs, maybe you could use gold...that way you could still do pink on the curtains! I think either way it will look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you love Emily - that's such a endorsement! And the gold idea could be so so good . . . too many options!

      Delete
  2. Yes. That Les Touches is so good...and with the rug...and the pendant...I could cry. Great combo.
    I am leery of the dipped legs on chairs. Is it too trendy? Will you like them in two years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worried about the legs too, but if I did one chair and hated it it's a pretty easy fix, right?

      Delete
  3. The rainbow stripe is fun, but the Le Touches is forever. That whole little area makes me want to come over. Any way you'd want to try using the rainbow fabric as your curtain edge? Or maybe I've gone crazy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're not crazy! I actually tried to figure out how I could use it that way too . . .

      Delete
  4. My thoughts are that the striped fabric looks kid-like next to the Southwestern pattern and muted colors of the rug. I like the idea of the Les Touches, to bring out the black and white from the rug, and to continue with a more sophisticated look for the room.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!