1.03.2013

happenings around here: little living room updates

The problem with relying on Pinterest to store and categorize your pics for future posts (now that they have secret boards) is that when they have "hiccups" you're kinda shit outta' luck. I had a pretty post planned, but all I'm getting this morning is a 502, so I've thrown together a little sneak peek of some changes I've been making in my living room instead! We make do, right?

I hadn't planned on posting this because a) it's a bad iphone pic, and I really wanted to take decent ones before posting and b) I'm in the very middle of recovering the lamp shade so it's not even done. But, shit happens, so here it is:


And here's a little reminder of what it looked like a month ago:


I love the changes long time. It doesn't quite come across in the pics how much better it is, but it made a HUGE difference in person. It's so much cosier it's obscene.

Can you spot all the changes? Some are totally obvious but some less so because of the picture quality. There are 6 (with new pillows counted as 2 for the different kinds). Think you've got them? K, here they are in no particular order:

1. Kantha switched out for herringbone throw - I caved. I had to do it. While I loved the thing it just wasn't working for me no matter what I tried, and I realized I had started making choices I didn't really like to try to make it work. It's now in my closet, and I'm wavering between selling it and keeping it for the future. If you're interested, let me know, because I'd love for it to have a happy new home.

2. New purple velvet pillows - Remember that velvet I told you I'd scored for 80% off? Well it's now two 20" stunners, and I couldn't be happier!

3. New velvet ikat pillow - k, this thing is a knockout. I was worried because it was the cheapest price for this type of pillow I'd ever seen (I got it from here) but the quality is better than I expected (hidden zipper what what!) and I love it.

Only issue - and this seems to be the case with all velvet ikat pillows - is that they don't come in standard pillow sizes, so I had to do a bit of cutting and sewing on my own. No big deal. I wanted to keep the length the same, so I came up with the bright idea of cutting down one of my pillow inserts as well. BIG MISTAKE. It worked, but Jesus Christ you should have seen how crazy I looked covered head to toe in feathers.

4. Painted lamp base - This is the one that's a bit tough to see, but I sprayed it black (it used to be navy). I still have to give it its lacquer coat, but will probably have to wait until it's no longer cold enough to freeze my nipples off and the snow isn't 20 inches deep.

5. Painted picture frames - Again, black. Still deciding if I like this change or not.

6. New amethyst chunk on the tray table - Found this puppy for 20$ and couldn't resist. I think I might be becoming an amethyst hoarder . . .

So there you have it. Like I said, the lamp shade is getting a black and white floral ikat treatment, but that won't be done until I can find a good ribbon to finish the edges with. Other than that, I'd like to switch Mr. Plant to a chunky braided basket, and maybe put him on a small pedestal for extra height (he appears to be shrinking . . .). Finally, the art and mirror still need to be moved down. So too high for my liking.

Done or not, it was super nice to come back to all these improvements after the holidays. It's feeling more and more "finished" in here by the day. Clearly, I'll need to move soon ;)

*Edit*: the second I publish this post Pinterest starts working perfectly. Like the jar that opens easily the second someone else tries, it was inevitable.

post signature

4 comments :

  1. It looks amazing! I love your new pillows

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how big of a difference little changes can make! I love the amethyst chunk, and that source for the velvet ikat pillow is amazing, so happy to have found a great new online shop! Thank you :)
    Of course pinterest is working for ya now, atleast you can give us that post tomorrow! I look forward to it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great..I especially like the art, pillows, and that white side table!

    Just found your blog--stop by mine and say hi sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!