9.14.2012

i heart your art: kate long stevenson

A few weeks ago a friend of mine noted that all of the art I love shares a really similar aesthetic, and that he's never surprised by the pieces that catch my eye. Looking through my inspiration folders I can see what he means. A lot of abstracts, a lot of unconventional portraits, and a lot of pink. A LOT of pink.

What can I say, I like what I like.

Strangely enough, when I thought about it I realized I could pinpoint the moment that I figured out what kind of art was truly "me". A few years ago I was reading one of my favourite design magazines (I think it was House & Home) and came across a feature on Kate Long Stevenson. I literally had an "aha" moment. For the first time in my life I considered saving up every one of my pennies just to own an original piece of art (something I now consider all the time).

I was intensely drawn to everything about Kate's work - from the saturated colours, to the broad and unrestrained brush strokes, to the beautiful yet oddly off-kilter silhouettes. I still am.






Aren't they beautiful? The similarities to some of my current faves are uncanny.

P.S. I wish I could find that original article in my mag collection. My next organizational project should clearly be cataloging. 

P.P.S. That's never going to happen.

{via 1/2/3/4}

post signature

5 comments :

  1. I just came across your blog while googling some Kate. I agree she is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she?? Btw, clicked on your name to check out your blogger profile, and you had me at wallpaper and leopard. Damn. Straight.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the post, Elyse!! xo, kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I have to admit I'm pretty giddy that you came across it! Thank you in return for the inspiration!

      Delete
  3. i agree - need more pennies fer sher

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!