3.13.2012

diy rut

I honestly don't know what's going on with me lately, but my craftiness is completely failing me. No matter what project I take on, I seem to eff it up in some way. 

Ingenious pendant light project = not so much. While I am still determined to save it, I clearly bought the wrong drill bit and am not close enough to a large hardware store to get the right one. 

Covering my lampshades in silk I brought back from Thailand? Complete fail. Jagged edges, sloppy seams . . . I just couldn't get it to go on straight. It looks so amateur. 

Making a pin board out of the same in-very-short-supply silk? Sprayed too much adhesive and stained it (and not in a discreet spot either) and too little in other places so it's un-sticking randomly. Neither of these projects can be done over again because I don't have any more of the PERFECT SHADE fabric. I am so pissed at myself . . .

Finally, lining those lamp shades in gold contact paper was a TOTAL. DISASTER.

It was supposed to look like this:




And was inspired by Jenny's GORGEOUS and apparently super easy to do version:


But mine is a crooked bubbly mess. In part because it couldn't stick to the crooked mess of fabric I'd tried to cover the shade with. Aaaargh! Worst part? I can't get it off now. It's contact paper. It's adhesive. I'm screwed.

This, my friends, is what I like to call the trifecta of shit. When a diy project equals wasted time, wasted money and reduced pretty. This is the recipe for a very sad Elyse.

Le sigh. I will try again tomorrow. Because less time and money I can handle, but not less pretty.

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!